Fireplace Hearth

Dang, first blog post in about a year. If I’m telling the truth, I’ve missed sharing our DIY projects. I love sharing them on Instagram, but you don’t get to see the full process there—usually only the before & after.

As most of you know, we’ve been in our home for about 2 ½ years now. We spent the first year redoing everything… and I do mean everything. After that first year, we were so burnt out that we stopped doing anything for about another year. This spring is when I slowly started getting back into it. I started working on the projects that didn’t get completely finished (dragging my husband along with me) and now I think we’ve got our mojo back.

Recently, I’ve been tackling smaller projects that have a bigger impact on the space. What I’ve noticed is that in order for me to tackle these larger impact projects, I find myself researching all around Instagram land and Pinterest in order to find the best way to do them. Which then resulted in me reading tons and tons of blog posts from different decorators, who have done the same projects that I’ve been looking to do.

That forced me to think to myself… “girl, you should start working on your blog again so that you can help other people get these projects done, too.”

Sooo, that’s what I’m doing!

To get a little more specific, I recently refinished our fireplace hearth in our dining room. I was super nervous to start that project, because, well… I was painting freakin’ tile people!

I read through multiple blogs, so many in fact I can’t even give credit to the ones who helped me! The only person I can give full credit to was Kelly from @shiplap.and.lilacs . She had recently painted the stone on her fireplace, and so I reached out to her for any help she could give me. She told me what paint she used, how she applied it, everything. She was so helpful, and I had someone to show the progress to along the way. Thanks again, Kelly!

Here’s a before photo of our fireplace.

Note: There is absolutely nothing wrong with this hearth. Except for that one chip in the tile, this hearth was in great shape. The reason why I decided to paint it is because it just didn’t match the rest of the room at all, nor my style.

thumbnail.jpg

Since this is a working wood stove, I started by cleaning everything off the hearth, and giving the tile a good scrub. I think I cleaned it three times before I finally felt like it was clean. From there, I painted it with Alabaster from Benjamin Moore, which I loved. It immediately brightened up the space.

Since I used a paint that was paint & primer in one (Sherwin Williams Showcase line), this was with three coats:

thumbnail.2.jpg

I loved the way it turned out.

Initially, this was my only plan for this space but as soon as I finished, something was missing. My husband felt the same way. We couldn’t put our finger on it, but the space felt sort of bland. Super clean & crisp, but now kind of bland.

My wheels started turning, and after a few days of living with the white tile… it came to me. I needed to stencil it! I didn’t know how it was going to come out, because my Well Woven rug has a design to it and our curtains in the dining room have a design to them as well. I was a little concerned it would all clash, but I went ahead anyway.

I ran to Michael’s the next day and found a stencil kit. Meanwhile, I had no idea how I was going to do this. I decided to use leftover paint of what we used on the exterior siding of our second story, which was Indian River by Benjamin Moore.

The stencil package had many different sizes to choose from. I tried out a smaller version first, and it was just too small. I covered over that with white paint again, and went for the larger one. I was concerned with the larger stencil that I’d be going over the grout lines in the middle of the stencil, but I wanted that size, so I went for it.

After about 4 hours of stenciling… I got this!

thumbnail.3.jpg

I can’t even describe to you guys how much I LOVE this tile now. Shouldn’t this be how we all feel about every spot in our home?! The amount of excitement I felt inside of me was amazing.

Once this was dry, I applied three coats of matte poly to the entire hearth. This was the easy part. I waited about an hour in between each coat, until it wasn’t sticky anymore. After a few hours it was done! We waited about a week until we put everything back on the hearth. It’s been done for about 3 months now, and I have to say it’s holding up great!

You know when you finish a project, and you love it so much that you don’t even care what anyone else thinks?! That’s what my friend Sara over at Grace in my Space calls making your home a haven.

And you know what friends, if I didn’t take that risk in the first place, I would have kept that yucky red tile that every time I looked at it, I hated. Now when I look over here, I just smile.

Cheers to hearing more from me on here friends… I’ve missed ya!

xo

2 thoughts on “Fireplace Hearth

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s